The abc’s of vitamin D
FORTARO® contains ampli-D® which raises vitamin D levels 3 times faster and more effective.
Why is vitamin D so important?
Vitamin D is most known for its effects on bone and muscle health. Vitamin D has an enormous impact on our health: it regulates several hundred genes. Consequently, it is important for heart, immunity, metabolic support, eye, and skin health. There is emerging evidence that vitamin D plays a crucial role in immunity and reviews have shown vitamin D can reduce risk for acute respiratory tract infections .
Why is reaching sufficient vitamin D status such a challenge?
Vitamin D is produced when our skin is exposed to sunlight. That’s how we get up to 90% of our vitamin D and certain foods like fatty fish, milk and eggs are also rich in vitamin D contributing the remaining 10%. Especially during winter it can be a challenge to get enough. Also increasing use of sun protection has lowered our access to vitamin D, just like the increasingly indoor lifestyle.
How do I know if I am low on vitamin D?
In fact, 88% of the global population has insufficient vitamin D levels . If you want to know your exact vitamin D level the most common way to measure in your body is through a blood test. These tests include measuring calcifediol, which is the most common form of vitamin D in your blood.
Please contact your physician or healthcare practitioner’s office for a vitamin D test. Your physician may also advise you to take vitamin D without pre-testing your levels if you are likely not getting sufficient (e.g. being home-bound, having dark skin pigmentation, living in Northern latitudes).
What is a good vitamin D level?
There are different units for representing vitamin D levels namely ng/ml and nmol/l. For information purposes, we have created an overview of what typically is considered an optimal levels of vitamin . Please consult your healthcare practitioner to determine what is best for you.
 AR Martineau et al., BMJ 356, i6583 (2017).
 J Hilger et al., Br J Nutr 111 (1), 23 (2014).
 R Bouillon, Nat Rev Endocrinol 13 (8), 466 (2017).
Supplement your vitamin D level 3x faster and more efficient than ordinary vitamin D*
Calcifediol is the most common form of vitamin D in the body. It is also the more bioavailable vitamin D form, hence better absorbed by the body. This helps in reaching optimal vitamin D levels faster. FORTARO® powered by ampli-D® is clinically proven to optimize vitamin D status 3x more quickly than ordinary vitamin D.
Free international and domestic shipping on orders of 3 bottles